Students collect cans for cause

Kate Tilma, staff writer

As Thanksgiving and Christmas approach, the canned food drive was a good way that Kapaun Mount Carmel could show those in need the love of God. The students at KMC collected cans and money to give to the underprivileged.

“In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, many families are suffering not only from sickness but from lack of income due to the shut down of our country’s, state’s, and local economies including small businesses, restaurants, and the airline industry, just to name a few,” said house dean of Therese of Lisieux , Beth Ferraro. “This includes many KMC families. Still, the response of our students and their parents, faculty and staff was overwhelmingly generous.”

Ferraro along with Ignatius Loyola house dean, Karin Johnson organized this year’s drive from Nov. 9 – 20. It was held as a competition between houses at KMC to see who can collect the most. Due to COVID-19, the students focused on raising money instead of cans. All cans went to Our Daily food Pantry at Catholic Charities.

This year, KMC set a goal of $15,000. Staff and students brought in $10,016 in cash on top of over 200 cans.

“I was skeptical of the goal especially since KMC just recently collected the most peanut butter jars in our school’s history. I did think that it was too lofty,” said Ferraro. “But Mrs. Johnson and I asked our CAP captains, VP’s and presidents and they believed that the $15,000 goal was attainable. Even though we didn’t reach that goal, we still broke the school’s previous record of canned food collection. Perhaps if we hadn’t set the goal at $15,000, we wouldn’t have reached over $10,000. God works in mysterious ways.” Mrs. Ferraro said.

With the money collected, Our Daily Food Pantry will be able to purchase approximately 50, 537 cans. Last year KMC collected a little over 31,000 cans.

Top house for the event this year was Francis Xavier, raising $1,554.