News Briefs: November

Alexa Garrett, staff writer

Scholars Bowl

Scholars Bowl, puts their knowledge to the test by competing against other schools around Wichita. Four selected individuals get to compete on each team at the meets, in an eight round competition. The team took first place in the Trinity Tournament Oct. 19. Team members were Clayton McCandless, Paddy Olson, Joe Bijoy, Reuben Scheck and Sam Calderon “I think that Scholar’s Bowl benefits me because it helps me to retain information and trivia. It also helps me to think quicker, because of the fast paced nature of the competitions,” said sophomore Gianna Torkelson.

National Writers

Sophomore Natalie Phan and junior Elysia Self received recognition for winning Columbia Scholastic Press Association Student Work Gold Circle (CSPA) awards. Both students were ecstatic about this accomplishment and hope to do many great things with journalism in the future.

Phan has been offered many opportunities during her time at KMC so far, including the opportunity to attend a journalism camp at Stanford University and winning first place across the nation for the single subject news or feature package. “I’ve always picked up smaller awards here and there for hobbies and stuff, but it feels really good to be nationally recognized. So far, this is my greatest accomplishment for journalism, but you never know what the future holds. Overall, I’m extremely grateful for the opportunity to receive a national award for something I did my freshman year. I think that’s crazy, and I’m eager to see what the future awaits,” said Phan.

Self won second place for General or Humor Commentary with her piece, “Parents Gift-Wrap the Truth on Santa Claus.” She has been on the Paladin for two years. “I distinctly remember this piece being the first one that I really let my personality shine through in. The first one I was really proud of, s0 for this one to have won such a prestigious award is so special,” said Self.

Robotics

The KMC robotics team is putting endless hours into creating a functioning robot. “I enjoy the process of creation. Getting to brainstorm and come up with ways to solve a problem, then getting to build a robot that we design is a really interesting process to me,” said sophomore Lexi Wilber. The competitions are anywhere from seven to nine hours long.

Running similar to a basketball game, there is a big crowd and a referee, known as a driver, who observes the robot on the game floor. “It was really nerve racking because we had put so much effort and time into our robot and presentation. But it all paid off in the end when we got third place.” The team will compete virtually in the Kansas BEST Robotics Competition. Nov. 19-21.