Hispanic students talk culture

images courtesy of Tatiana Bralnina, Frida Kahlo, & Pius Lee

Natalie Phan, social media manager & web editor

In a time of political crisis and the rise of white nationalism, race politics has never been more complicated. Kapaun Mt. Carmel hosts a diverse group of students, ranging from multiple socioeconomic and racial backgrounds. One notable group is the school’s Hispanic community.

According to Hispanic junior Scarlett Resendez, her culture is more than language.

To sophomore Estrella Carillo, growing up Hispanic had its unique characteristics.

“Growing up Hispanic has affected me in some ways. For example, like people look down on you and automatically judge you. They think that all Hispanic people are immigrants,” said Carillo.

“In my opinion, being Hispanic is so cool in a way like the food is so good,” said Carillo. “You also have tons of family growing up. You have these family traditions that each family has.”

“We are all honestly good people with good hearts and who are just trying to live the American dream,” said Carillo.
“Being Hispanic is about the tradition, values, and heritage,” said Resendez. “Being Hispanic is the foundation where people are able to find their roots, learn about their ancestors, and most importantly find who they are and want to become.”

“Honestly, I’ve loved growing up Hispanic. From the color of my skin to the foods I eat, it’s all been a good experience,” said Resendez. “I’ve learned a lot about my family and the traditions they had to share.”

“Something about being Hispanic that non-Hispanic kids do not understand is that not all Mexicans speak Spanish. A lot of people assume I can do their Spanish homework because I ‘should be able to read this.’ I can understand when my dad is talking to me in Spanish but I cannot do school Spanish,” said Resendez.

Sophomore Sophia Flores-Lerma says she is proud of what her heritage had done for her.

“To be Hispanic means your [sic] part of a very special culture that has helped many people grow in many different ways,” said Flores-Lermac, “and that your culture will always be with you no matter what and to never forget where you came from.”

According to Pew Research Center, the U.S. Hispanic population reached 60.6 million in 2019. A 2016 study conducted by Pew Research Center found that roughly half of Hispanics have experienced discrimination.
“I personally have not experienced any sort of racism at Kapaun,” said Flores-Lerma, “but I have experienced racism in many other places. I have heard of Hispanic students struggling with racism at Kapaun.”

Flores-Lerma has a different perspective on what non-Hispanic students don’t understand.

“Something that a non-Hispanic don’t [sic] understand is that why [sic] we are so connected with our family,” said Flores-Lerma. “The reason why we are so connected is because if you don’t have friends you can always trust your family, they are the only people who you will always count on, they won’t judge you or anything they just want what is best for you.”