NHS election process explained

Back to Article
Back to Article

NHS election process explained

Throwing a bean bag, senior Natalie Oduor plays bean bag toss with one of the children at St. Joseph Elementary. Oduor volunteered at Little Athletes with National Honor Society April 24. photo by Maggi Duncan

Annie Nguyen, staff writer

Senior Kathy Pham, co-president of National Honor Society (NHS) said NHS helps students learn social and communication skills while serving others.

“NHS benefits Kapaun [Mt. Carmel] because it helps shed light on their [the school’s] mission statement,” Pham said. “The pillars of NHS are scholarship, leadership, service and character. All these contribute to forming the total person in the image of Jesus Christ.”

According to www.nhs.us, NHS is the nation’s premier organization, established to recognize outstanding high school students.  

To apply for NHS at KMC, students must have at least a 3.8 weighted GPA, and fill out the application form, which consists of questions over service to school, parish and community, as well as requiring signatures of approval from 5 members of the faculty. Afterwards, faculty are asked to vote for five people from each class. Those who receive at least five votes will then move on to the interview stage.

Sponsor Pat Raglin said many students’ induction into the society is due to two things: the application and the ensuing interview.

At private schools and prep schools, it’s more difficult to get in because you have to demonstrate scholarships to service, leadership and character,” Raglin said. “You have to have proof of it. Most schools that are prep schools, like Kapaun, ask for an interview.”

Those who move on to the interview stage are interviewed by a faculty board consisting of teachers from each department. In the interview, each student is asked the same questions, which detail their service, character, leadership and religious formation. Afterward, the committee votes, and those with majority votes will be invited to join NHS.

On April 12, 19 sophomores and juniors were invited to join the society, with an induction mass to take place April 29. Approximately 80 sophomores applied for the society, but only 12 were accepted.

Ackerman, one of the newly elected members, said the process was simple and easy to figure out.

“The application was pretty straightforward,” Ackerman said. “The interview made me nervous, but it was pretty easy. You just go in there, answer six to eight questions, and you’re done.”

Ackerman recommends applicants to put as much on your application as possible and to remain calm during your interview.

“What made me get in was definitely me being involved with a lot of things at school, and the amount of service I had done for the community and school,” Ackerman said.

Members of NHS are required to attend two volunteer projects a month unless they are in sports, then they are required to go to only one a month.

Junior Maggie Gann, newly elected probation officer, will monitor the amount of events each member goes to a month and make sure they meet the requirements.

“If they don’t meet the required amount of volunteer opportunities for a certain month, they get put on the probation list,” Gann said.

Raglin organizes volunteer projects for the students to participate in every month.

“We play bingo with our retired sisters, do Special Olympics with little athletes, operation holiday, things like that,” Raglin said.