McCarrick moves to Kansas

Ex-cardinal involved in sex scandal relocates next to school

In+close+quarters%2C+the+friary+at+St.+Fidelis+Basilica+shares+a+parking+lot+with+Victoria+Elementary+School.+This+concerns+many+people+due+to+the+fact+that+ex-cardinal+Theodore+McCarrick%2C+an+alleged+sex+offender%2C+now+resides+in+the+friary.+photo+courtesy+of+google+maps.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

McCarrick moves to Kansas

In close quarters, the friary at St. Fidelis Basilica shares a parking lot with Victoria Elementary School. This concerns many people due to the fact that ex-cardinal Theodore McCarrick, an alleged sex offender, now resides in the friary. photo courtesy of google maps.

Addy Porter, buisness manager

Talking about faith and modernization, McCarrick is shown at the annual World Economic Forum. The Forum was held in Switzerland Jan. 24. photo courtesy of Wikimedia.

Imagine you are a parent with a young child living in Victoria, Kansas. Your child attends Victoria Elementary School, a school where they strive to provide a safe and secure environment for their students, at least according to their mission statement published on their website.

Then, you find out ex-Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, a man accused with the sexual abuse of at least six minors as well as adult seminarians, is moving next door to St. Fidelis, a friary that shares a parking lot with the school your child attends.

For many parents in this small Kansas town 88 miles west of Salina, this scenario became a reality Sept. 28.

McCarrick resigned from ministry June 20 due to an allegation that he molested a teenage altar boy nearly 50 years ago. Soon after this came to light, more allegations began to arise that said he was responsible for the sexual assault of both male adults and minors as early as 1971, according to the New York Times.

“I think he is going to stay in a cloistered part of the friary,” said history teacher David Roberts, who owns land in Victoria. “This will make it so he doesn’t have basically any contact with the outside world, and will be very isolated from others.”  

In August, journalist George Neumayr reported that McCarrick was living in a 5,000-square-foot residence worth $2.6 million in Washington, D.C. According to Church Militant, many believe the Washington archdiocese’s Cardinal Donald Wuerl made it a priority to move McCarrick after the media publicized his apparent life of luxury.

Another reason for McCarrick’s relocation could be due to Pope Francis having ordered McCarrick to spend his time in prayer and penance, according to the National Catholic Reporter. Francis has ordered McCarrick to a solitary life until a Vatican trial can be held. Regardless, the problem remains that an alleged sex offender is living next to an elementary school.

“I was shocked to learn of Cardinal McCarrick’s placement at a place with such a close proximity to people, let alone children,” said Dr. Paul Cleland, a local physician. “As a parent, I was immediately uncomfortable when I became aware of this.”

Cleland lives in Wichita along with his wife and daughter. His 3-year-old daughter will one day attend St. Thomas Aquinas, one of Kapaun Mt. Carmel’s feeder schools. Even though Wichita is 181 miles from Victoria, Cleland said he would be very concerned if his family were in that situation.

“I understand that Victoria is a rural town, but I was still surprised a more remote location was not selected for his permanent residence,” Cleland said. “Frankly, I can’t understand how this man is not in jail, though I am not sure if this has to do with statute of limitations.”

In an article published in the Washington Post, Bishop Gerald Vincke, the bishop of the Diocese of Salina said he is also unsure on why Cardinal Wuerl moved McCarrick to St. Fidelis. Bishop Vincke said he had mixed emotions about the notion of McCarrick coming to his diocese. Vincke said he felt mercy was important, but he also felt angry about McCarrick coming to the friary.

In a letter published Sept. 28 on the Salina diocese website titled “Why I said ‘Yes’”,he wrote, “We know that Christ has compassion and mercy for all who repent of their sins. The cross is a place of love and mercy. It is not a place of retribution.”

Raymond Arroyo, an EWTN news anchor asked “What about the mercy for the victims?” on his “World Over” show.

“There should still be mercy and compassion, but there’s also justice,” KMC chaplain Fr. Curtis Hecker said. “Society needs and deserves to protect itself and it’s not any of our jobs to condemn him to hell, and as a matter of fact, only God can do that. But, we also do expect and demand justice because our God is a just God as well.”

Fr. Curtis believes that having McCarrick live in a friary is the best option for him.

“The fact is the guy has to go somewhere,” Hecker said. “I know there’s a lot of people that don’t like the fact that he is in Kansas and that the monastery he is at is not that far from a school. …Also, for him to go to a place like a monastery, where he’s cut off from the rest of the world and has the opportunity to spend out the rest of his life in prayer and reflection, I think that’s probably the best outcome for him.”

Victoria Elementary School officials were not able to be reached to comment. According to the National Catholic Register, McCarrick is still an archbishop, since he was not laicized for his accusations.

Sophomore Megan Boeding said that if an alleged sex offender moved next to KMC, she would change her behavior.

“If someone like McCarrick moved in next to Kapaun I would definitely try to continue life as normal,” Boeding said. “But, I would be more aware of my surroundings and go around in a group rather than by myself.”