Clubs help students form their faith

Processing out of Mass, sophomore Nick Wetta carries the cross while junior Daniel Samsel (left) and sophomore Tim Post (right) hold the candles Sept. 12 in the gym. Mass was celebrated by vocations director Fr. Chad Arnold. Afterwards, the Homecoming court candidates were presented to the school. photo by John Biehler

Olivia Wilber, staff writer

Opportunities to grow in one’s faith life have increased as Kapaun Mt. Carmel has formed three new religious clubs for students. One of the clubs is The Knights of the Morning Star, the brother club to The Handmaids of Mary, headed by Fr. Curtis Hecker.
“I joined Knights because I think it will be a great way to grow in my faith, and also grow nearer to those around me,” junior Thomas Elliot said. “It seems to be a great community with a wonderful purpose, and it provides a fun and inviting way to get to know and serve our Lord better. When I first heard of it, I thought it would be fun and formative, and I felt that God was calling me to join.”
The Knights meet at 6 p.m. on Wednesdays in the Mt. Carmel chapel in the Round. A typical meeting begins with praying the rosary. Afterwards, the group eats pizza and discusses upcoming events, and then they play games. One game Elliot likes to play is ultimate frisbee.
Two other religious groups are also available at KMC: Liturgy Club (boys only) and The Chaplain’s Cabinet (boys and girls).
“I wanted the Liturgy Club to be something to help with the liturgy at Kapaun, specifically the All-School Mass on Wednesdays, so it’s lectors, servers, sacristans, and I’m hoping to get extraordinary ministers of communion, but I have to work with the diocese on that,” Fr. Hecker said. “I want to train them, for example, to be a sacristan, to set up for Mass, to know where all the things are that you use in Mass, and to know what they’re called so that students can take the skills that they’ve learned here and translate it back into living stewardship at their own parish.”
Liturgy Club meets once a month. Another religious group is Chaplain’s Cabinet.
“[Chaplain’s Cabinet] is a group of upperclassmen that I have selected to be leaders among the student body and promoting Catholic identity here at Kapaun,” Fr. Curtis said. “So, the Chaplain’s Cabinet are kids that I have seen or recognized as kids who really take their faith very seriously and who are willing to help me plan retreats… That’s probably the biggest thing that they do and a lot of them will be giving testimonies at retreats.”
Chaplain’s Cabinet has previously met twice a month in Fr. Curtis’ office, but there has only been one since this summer. The members discuss upcoming faith events.
“This is not as much of a club as the other ones are,” Barr said. “No one can just come to the meetings and say they are a part of it. Each of us have been personally asked by Fr. Curtis to be a part of this group. I was very thankful and humbled by the opportunity to help lead this school in its faith formation through a more focused window than I had been given my first three years at Kapaun.”
The goal of Chaplain’s Cabinet is to plan out and intensify the faith formation of all the students at KMC, and they mostly discuss upcoming events, like retreats.
“I would encourage any and everyone to join at least one of the spiritual clubs at Kapaun,” Elliot said. “They are great ways to know and serve Jesus, as well as have a fun time with really great people. While any one club might not work for someone, I’m sure that with the variety we have, anyone can find something that God is calling them to join. We’re happy to welcome whoever is interested in joining, whether they have a deep faith, or are just ready to begin growing one.”