Freshman Helps Team Place 7th

Reading+the+slope%2C+Junior+Lauren+Rudy+squats+down+to+make+a+decision+on+how+to+putt+at+the+girls+golf+tournament+Sept.+26+at+the+Arthur+B.+Sim+public+golf+course++
Reading the slope, Junior Lauren Rudy squats down to make a decision on how to putt at the girls golf tournament Sept. 26 at the Arthur B. Sim public golf course

A. Johnson, staff writer

The girls golf season was highlighted by an undefeated finish in City League and second place in regionals. As the only freshman on the varsity team, Eleanora Navarro is making an impact.

“I was really surprised when I found out that I had made the varsity golf team, and my friends had told me that I was going to make it,” Navarro said. “I was really nervous going into all the 18-hole competitions.”

Navarro’s best score this season was a 96 at a 18-hole competition. Navarro said she has made several improvements including her swing and overall score. Senior Nicole Graf said Navarro was an essential part of the team’s success.   

“As a freshman, she played really well,” Graf said. “She had a lot of strong points to her game, which really helped us out this season.”

The team advanced to state Oct. 16, placing seventh, an improvement from last season when the Crusaders did not qualify.

“Overall, I think we did really well,” assistant coach Marie Thomas said. “Our goal was to make it back to state, which we did, because we did not make it there last year, which was a little disappointing. I think we left some stuff out on the court — we finished seventh [in state]. We probably could have done a little better, but overall, I was pleased with the effort that the girls gave.”

Graf, senior Maggi Duncan, junior Lauren Rudy, and sophomore Abby Wolff were named first team all-City. Navarro and sophomore Quynh-Thi Nguyen were named second team.

“I think that I really grew and improved a lot,” Navarro said. “I will definitely be practicing more for next season to be better. This season went really well, and I loved it all. My favorite parts were the trips we got to take in the car or in the bus.We would just hang out and talk.”

Golf has been an important part of Navarro’s life from an early age, as she started playing in kindergarten. After that, she would play and practice with her dad several times a week.

“I started playing when I was really young, about when I was 5,” Navarro said. “My dad showed me the game first and, I started loving it. I stopped playing in middle school. I did not like playing it back then, and I got back into it in the eighth grade. I continued to play it because I really enjoyed it. I thought it was fun even when we (the team) did not have the best day. It was fun to improve and play.”

Reading the slope, junior Lauren Rudy squats down to make a decision on how to putt at the girls golf tournament Sept. 26 at the Arthur B. Sim public golf course. Photo by Ashley Moss