New chaplain comes to KMC

Thomas Searl, editor-in-chief

Fr. Gabe Greer, formerly the Parochial Vicar at the Church of the Magdalen, has joined the Kapaun Mt. Carmel community as associate chaplain with Fr. Curtis Hecker.

Fr. Gabe is teaching freshmen in the Salvation History of the Old Testament class in the mornings, leaving his afternoons free for him to fulfill his responsibilities as the Diocesan Master of

ATTENDING THE BACK-TO-SCHOOL DANCE, Fr. Gabe Greer dances in a student-formed circle Sept. 7 in the old gym. “I’m also going to be doing some promotion of vocations to the priesthood by starting some vocation groups for guys, and then also just attending sporting events and extracurricular activities as much as I can, so hopefully we can try to have a priest at multiple events,” Fr. Gabe said. photo by Amy Pham

Ceremonies and assistant to the bishop. Fr. Curtis said Fr. Gabe’s presence will be a good change for KMC.

“Having Fr. Gabe at Kapaun will be such a tremendous blessing because he is able to reach a set of students that I can’t necessarily connect with,” Fr. Curtis said. “Fr. Gabe has taken a particular role with the football team and is able to teach freshman religion. It’s also helpful to have him offer additional masses and spend time hearing confessions. There’s an old saying that having two oxen more than doubles the output of a single ox because they will both pull harder when they are in company with the other. That is what it’s like having two priests at KMC.”

Fr. Gabe said he is excited about teaching freshmen this year in his first classroom role.

“Fr. Curtis, when he learned that I was going to be coming here, he called me and said that he wanted me to teach freshmen,” Fr. Gabe said. “It definitely made me super excited to get to teach freshmen. I think it’s a very important time in the life of a high schooler, and a lot of things are foundational freshman year, and so I think having a priest for your first year can be very helpful in getting students on the right direction. So far, it’s been really good. I like it.”

Fr. Gabe said having two priests will be good for the Catholic identity of Kapaun Mt. Carmel.

“One of the things I’m most excited about is, I think having two priests is going to be very helpful in seeing spiritual growth in young people’s lives,” Fr. Gabe said. “I’m just really looking forward to seeing how our Catholic identity continues to grow here at Kapaun, and to continue to see disciples of Christ being made each and every day.”