Mental edge key to golf success

Watching+the+ball+roll%2C+junior+Jack+Baker+putts+April+17+at+Sim+Park+Golf+Course.+Baker+finished+first+individually+in+the+GWAL+tournament+with+a+73%2C+and+the+Crusaders+finished+first+as+a+team.+
Watching the ball roll, junior Jack Baker putts April 17 at Sim Park Golf Course. Baker finished first individually in the GWAL tournament with a 73, and the Crusaders finished first as a team.

Sophee King

Sophee King

Kaegan Cowan, Sports Editor

Last season, the boys golf team had its state championship hopes dashed with a fifth-place finish at Salina Municipal Golf Course. According to junior Cooper Steiner, the team is loaded with talent again, but he said they will have to gain the mental edge to win a championship this season.

“I think [winning a state championship] will just take being more mentally prepared than the other teams,” Steiner said. “A lot of times, state’s just a complete downpour. It’s just in times like those that you really [have] got to make sure you’re more mentally prepared than the other teams, and that’s usually how it shakes out in golf.”

This season’s team features four seniors and five juniors capable of making the 6-man varsity roster each week. Senior Ben Spicer talked about the team’s depth.

“We’re really deep this year,” Spicer said. “We have nine guys who can consistently shoot in the 70s, so it’s going to come down to picking the right guys to go to those tournaments and guys with more experience might play better than guys without any, or guys without any might play better than guys with more experience.”

One advantage of the high number of upperclassman golfers is the multiple years they have played together at Kapaun Mt. Carmel. Coach Dan Harrison highlighted that strength, as well as others, of this season’s team.

“KMC has an outstanding history of great golf,” Harrison said. “This group has a chance to be one of the exceptional teams. We have a group with experience, strong work ethic and good personal chemistry. How well we do is tied into what we believe about ourselves and what we are willing to commit to in order to achieve our ultimate goal: a state championship.”

The team has been moderately successful so far, winning two out of three GWAL tournaments with a fourth which could not be covered due to press time. The Crusaders placed second at the Bishop Carroll Invitational April 2, first at the Dodge City Invitational April 19, second at the Wichita Collegiate Classic April 23, and fourth at the Hutchinson Invitational April 27. The top three average scorers are junior Jack Baker, Spicer and Steiner. The next tournament is the GWAL championship at Auburn Hills Golf Course May 9.