Veterans Lead Boys Tennis Team

Senior Andrew Klimiuk returns his opponents serve at the Collegiate Invitational March 28 in #1 singles. Klimiuk advanced to the championship match, but lost 8-4. photo by John Biehler

Cooper Steiner, Web Editor

By Cooper Steiner

Last season, the boys tennis team sent two players to the state tournament, and the team fell just short of a second consecutive City League title. The team’s lone returning state qualifier, senior Andrew Klimiuk, will be vital for this season’s success for the team of mostly upperclassmen, said coach Kathy Schulte.

“It helps to have such a talented senior leading the team,” Schulte said. “Andrew Klimiuk is a very talented player that leads the team through example and through showing a strong work ethic and fierce competitive spirit. He is a strong leader at the top of our roster. [Seniors] Joshua Richardson and Thomas Kempf are both top returning as well. They bring a lot of match experience and help to guide the team. We have three seniors who are new to tennis and are on JV. I love their willingness to learn and enthusiasm competing for [Kapaun Mt. Carmel].”

The team started off the City League schedule by placing fifth out of eight teams at the first Wichita Collegiate Invitational March 28. The first win came March 29 with KMC defeating East 9-0. On April 3, KMC placed seventh out of 14 teams at the Ark City Invite. The Crusaders followed this tournament with a dual vs. North April 4, winning 9-0. By the end of the regular season, the team was second to Bishop Carroll in the GWAL standings.

“My expectation for the team was to take top two in City League”, said Kempf before the City League tournament. “My individual goal is still to make it to state in doubles with my doubles partner, Ben Hane.”

At the GWAL Championship April 28 the Crusaders took first place, besting Carroll’s team. All of the final matches were between Carroll and KMC, but Carroll’s No. 1 player, Rodney Stevens, did not play. Klimiuk swept all of his singles matches to become a City League champion. Other notable wins came from sophomore Charlie Foss who won No. 2 singles, and the team of junior Ben Hane and Kempf, who won No. 1 doubles.

The team is practicing on-court strategies in order to improve their game. Klimiuk believes a strong will to win will allow the team to best their competition.

“We are practicing strategy a lot in order to achieve these goals,” Klimiuk said. “We are focusing on trying to move into the court and how to actually win points. I think we are definitely getting better at that. I see a lot of potential for this team in the postseason. [The key to my individual success this season] is using all of the skills and tools I have. I have the ability I just need to look within myself to find it. [For the team, the key] is hard work and grit to show what we’re made of. I believe this team can do great things, we just have to want it more than the other teams.”

The team will next compete at the regional tournament May 5, with the site yet to be determined.