New fundraiser style makes big difference

editorial+cartoon+by+Emily+Schoeppner+
Back to Article
Back to Article

editorial cartoon by Emily Schoeppner

editorial cartoon by Emily Schoeppner

editorial cartoon by Emily Schoeppner

editorial cartoon by Emily Schoeppner

Kinta Kail, co-Editor in Chief

by Kinta Kail

Throughout the month of February, the Kapaun Mt. Carmel (KMC) community provided donations for the Walk In Sister’s Shoes fund, which helps support the parish schools in our diocese who have less than others. In order to motivate students to donate more, Director of Development Chenay Sloan said that there would be a weekly goal of money to reach if students wanted to see staff and faculty do outrageous things.

These activities included Cherne dying his hair blue for a game once students reach $1,000, Adelhardt and Graf hosting karaoke during lunch at $2,000, psychology/sociology teacher Brian Meade and religion teacher James Lewis performing an interpretive dance routine at $6,000, president Rob Knapp serenading block 2 classes at $7,000 and principal Chris Bloomer dancing with the pom pon squad at $8,000. Once students donated over $10,000, they received a field day and Fr. Curtis shaved his beard and head.

In total, we raised $10,800. That is amazing. Throughout the past events, the school has only suggested that students simply put money in specific jugs for each class; however, it is safe to say that the plan this year allowed students to become more motivated in the fundraiser and become closer as a community. We were able to see sides of our faculty and staff that have never been seen before outside of the classroom, while still donating to a great cause in the process.

Sloan outdid herself with this one, and the structure and organization of this year’s plan went smoothly due to everyone being helpful and participating. If KMC continues to express this kind of enthusiasm in future fundraisers in the years to come, who knows what the community can achieve?