CAP takes over STUCO

Posing for a photo, the House presidents and vice presidents are pictured. Back row: Natalie Knapp, Emme Bina, Adrienne Johnson, Brogan Wuestewald, Maggie Koster and Braden Barr. Front row: Thomas Clevenger, Scott Valentas, Lily Nguyen, Will Niehbur, Hannah Harpel, Isabel Ultzsch and Claudia Fury. Not pictured: Kathy Pham, Kylie Bitcon and Javier Martinez

Kapaun Mt. Carmel is changing the way student voices are heard. Starting in March, the student government began a shift into the Crusader Advocacy Program (CAP) system. While both the old Student Council (STUCO) structure and officers and the new CAP program are in place, STUCO’s reign is coming to an end, as CAP officers prepare to take over completely by next year.

In March, the eight houses elected a president and vice president. In seven of the eight houses, these elections were held as a popular vote with the winner becoming president and the runner-up becoming vice president. The remaining house, St. Therese of Lisieux, had candidates run specifically for either position, holding two separate elections.

St. Ignatius of Loyola house dean Jonathan Rothwell said the elections were done in the most effective way, given the circumstances.

Due to the lack of applicants that [running for specific positions] just wasn’t suitable,” Rothwell said. “Next year, we will have more applicants and can adjust back [to separate president/vice president races].”

St. Catherine of Siena house dean Michelle Lickteig said she is hopeful for the future of the CAP system.

“I was not ever involved with the old system so I can’t really say how effective it was,” Lickteig said. “I do like the fact that more students are involved in this system. I did not notice any names on the election ballots that were concerning to me as a teacher. I am hopeful that more students will run for those positions in the future. I think when something is new, there is hesitation to step up and take a risk.”

Rothwell said the president leads the house and deals with administrative tasks, while the vice president will be primarily concerned with house spirit.

“House President oversees the House Council, which included the VP and Captains from each family,” Rothwell said. “They provide an agenda for the meeting to discuss and report back to the Executive Council, which is all of the house presidents, about what their house had to say about a given topic. The VP supports the efforts of the House President and is in charge of school spirit. The VPs are the new SLU (Spirit Leaders Union) so they will have a major role to play in the fall. I am very satisfied with my president and vice president. We have a lot of important decisions to make that may not be popular, but I am confident we will get there.”