Staffer Reviews NCAA Tournament Madness

Cooper Steiner, Web Editor

The NCAA Tournament has come to an end, but the historic implications will be discussed for years to come.

On March 16, the overall No. 1 seeded Virginia Cavaliers took on the No. 16 seeded University of Maryland-Baltimore County (UMBC) Retrievers March 16. No one expected much from this game as a one seed had never lost against a 16 seed. One seeds had carried a record of 135-0 in tournament appearances into this game.

In this matchup, however, the underdogs dominated the game from tip to conclusion. I have watched a handful of these one seed vs. 16 games and there have been times a 16 seed got off to a hot start. But, every time the one seed came roaring back and ended up winning by a wide margin. I assumed this would happen with UMBC as well.

Cooper Steiner, Web Editor

The Retrievers made a lot of 3-pointers, converting 12 of 24 attempts from beyond the arc. These 3-pointers helped to demoralize Virginia and thwarted any possible comeback. As the last seconds ticked away, with UMBC up almost 20 points, the UMBC website crashed from the sheer amount of people visiting it, wondering as many did “Who is this team?”. In the end, UMBC made history, as the first No. 16 seed victory over a one seed, in blowout fashion, winning 74-54.

The Retrievers’ next game vs. the Kansas State University (KSU) Wildcats would not prove as favorable for the now famous college from Maryland. The game was close most of the game but the Wildcats pulled away in the final minutes to win 50-43. This set up a Wildcats vs. Wildcats matchup as the University of Kentucky (UK) took on KSU March 22. KSU’s defense was stellar all game holding UK to only 38 percent from the field. This defense, coupled with KSU shooting 41 percent from beyond the 3-point line, led to a historic upset (as KSU was previously 0-9 against UK) with KSU winning 61-58. Kansas State’s tournament run eventually ended with a 78-62 loss March 24 vs. the Loyola of Chicago Ramblers, another underdog in the tournament. The 11 seed won four games, making it to the Final Four.

Another Kansas team, the Wichita State University (WSU) Shockers are known for making a name for themselves in March Madness. The switch from the Missouri Valley Conference to the American Athletic Conference this year helped the Shockers to secure a No. 4 seed despite seven regular-season losses. The team had struggled all year long with limiting perimeter shooting and defending opposing team’s best players. The 13-seeded Marshall University Thundering Herd (MU) took on the fourth-seeded Shockers March 16 in the first round.

The University of Michigan competes vs. the University of Montana during the first round of the NCAA tournament in Wichita, Kansas. photo by Cooper Steiner

The Shockers looked flat all game and were careless with the ball, committing 15 turnovers to Marshall’s 9. WSU’s 3-point defense was disappointing, allowing 39 percent of MU’s attempts to drop from beyond the arc. MU earned only 30 rebounds compared to WSU’s 44. This rebounding disparity was not enough to propel the Shockers to a victory. The Thundering Herd took the game winning 81-75.

The University of Kansas (KU) Jayhawks, the last of the Kansas schools standing in the tournament, were faced with adversity this season after losing last year’s National Player of the Year, Frank Mason, to the NBA draft. Senior Devonte’ Graham rose to the occasion to lead the team, and KU won its 14th straight Big 12 regular-season title, making history for the most conference titles in a row. They went on to win the Big 12 postseason championship as well. The Jayhawks were awarded a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament and the opportunity to play in Wichita for the first two rounds.

They easily handled the University of Pennsylvania, winning 76-60. Their second game against Seton Hall University was also looking like a blowout at first. but became close at the end with Seton Hall making three 3-pointers in a row. KU clung to its lead to win 83-79. The Jayhawks moved on to face Clemson, in the Sweet Sixteen, and secured an 80-76 victory. The next game against the Duke Blue Devils March 25 was considered by some to be of championship quality. The two historic programs battled to a stalemate in regulation. The overtime thriller eventually fell in the Jayhawk’s favor, 85-81. KU then advanced to the Final Four to play the Villanova Wildcats on March 31. The Wildcats made a historic 18 3-pointers and ended KU’s postseason run 95-79.

The Villanova Wildcats would go on to face the Michigan Wolverines in the championship. The Wildcats won the 3-point battle shooting 37 percent to Michigan’s 13 percent. Villanova won the 2018 NCAA national title 79-62, obtaining its third national title in school history. The entire tournament was a showstopper, from the underdog wins to the dramatic and clutch performances worthy of a championship tournament. I cannot wait to see what happens next year.