This Month in Cinema: “The Proposal”

Margaret Tate and Andrew Paxton (played by Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds respectively) beginning their web of lies that they're engaged. Reynold's character now learns that if they're discovered, a $250,000 fine and five years in prison. Image courtesy of avclub.com

Margaret Tate and Andrew Paxton (played by Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds, respectively) begin their web of lies that they’re engaged. In this scene, Reynold’s character learns his possible punishment if they’re discovered, a $250,000 fine and five years in prison. Image courtesy of avclub.com

Love can be a tricky thing. It can get you to do the weirdest, most bizarre situations. But getting into fake marriage of a coworker? You’d think that couldn’t happen, right? Well, Anna Fletcher gave us one way that could happen. And what happens afterwards is just as weird as the idea…

A personal favorite comedy of mine, “The Proposal” stars Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock. The film stars Bullock’s character Margaret Tate as a Canadian executive about to be deported due to her expired visa. However, she convinces Reynold’s character, Andrew Paxton, to fake being engaged to her in exchange for the publishing of his book and a promotion. He agrees, and they move on to Alaska so he can break the news of the engagement to his family. From there on, Tate and Paxton begin to delve deeper into each others’ backstories.

Released on June 19, 2009, the movie did amazingly, earning $317 million worldwide with a budget of $40 million, and became the single highest grossing romantic-comedy of 2009. Critical reception was mixed, the actors were acclaimed while the script was less than unique. The film won accolades from many smaller productions, including the Teens’ Choice Awards and the People’s Choice Awards.

While being relatively average in terms of rating, “The Proposal” became a classic romantic comedy as soon as it released, with characters you can get attached to, and an interesting background for both leads. If you’re bored and you see this movie on TV or on a recommended movies list, I’d highly recommend you watch this late 2000s film about a thing called love.

Eric Matthews,
Videographer