This Month in Cinema: “Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World”

Scott Pilgrim (portrayed by Michael Cera) gaining

Scott Pilgrim (portrayed by Michael Cera) gaining "The Power of Love" during the final battle of "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World" in "The Chaos Theater". He prepares to defeat the final member of the "League of Evil Exes". Image courtesy of filmicmag.com

Scott Pilgrim (portrayed by Michael Cera) gains “The Power of Love” during the final battle of “Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World” in “The Chaos Theater”. He prepares to defeat the final member of the “League of Evil Exes”. Image courtesy of filmicmag.com

What do you think of when you hear the word ‘hero’? Most people think of epic tales of knights and other mythical or legendary tales. Well, in 2005, creator of “Scott Pilgrim” Bryan Lee O’Malley agreed to have his graphic novel become a movie. Director Edgar Wright was proposed to take the still-going series onto the screen. What transpired is the creation of a character with both ink and reel.

While many character in “Scott Pilgrim”  are famous stars including Chris Evans, Anna Kendrick and Brie Larson, it was Michael Cera and Mary Elizabeth Winstead who portrayed Scott Pilgrim and Ramona Flowers, two unique, characters, to say the least. They form a relationship, with the stipulation being that the other has dated and is currently dating other people. For Scott, that’s Knives Chau, a high schooler played by Ellen Wong, and for Ramona, that’s her “Seven Evil Exes” that will stop at nothing to take her back.

On opening weekend, “Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World” opened fifth, and only made back $47 million of its $60 million budget. The film won numerous accolades for Cera and Winstead’s roles, and for the direction Wright had, and his dedication to the source material. After copious amounts of effort, the film became a cult classic that most people can find something in to hold on to.

Overall, while “Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World” isn’t anything overly impressive for an originality with its plot, it wins in the creativity department by a long shot: original characters, exciting scenes, stunning, hand-drawn sequences. Check this movie if you’re a fan of comedy, romance, action, or anything in between.

Eric Matthews,
Videographer