Stolen dance

Dance to this, Joshua Bui, Julia Gonzalez, Ryan Cosgrove, and Katie Ha socialize at their homecoming dance last year at KMC, free of social distancing. photo by Helen Tran

Elysia Self, opinion editor

Homecoming in the age of coronavirus

Homecoming season is upon us, the court has been announced, dresses are out at the mall, everyone’s excited for the first big dance of the year. Except that it’s not happening.

The freshman aren’t going to feel the wave of sweat and body odor that washes over you the instant you step into the commons after school hours for the first time. Or the slight throbbing of your feet at the end of the night after wearing the most uncomfortable shoes for hours on end. Or my personal favorite, finally taking off the gorgeous dress that you’ll never throw out because it reminds you of your introduction to high school.

The moments during the dance when you can’t find your best friend because she went somewhere with the boy that you don’t particularly love, but she does so you support her. When your date grabs your hand and pulls you to the center of the floor and you do a mini freak out in your head before you have your first slow dance. All of the absolutely cheesy moments that everyone wants and deserves to experience have been effectively taken away from us.

Thank you COVID again for the many services.

While we might not be thrilled about this decision, we understand that it was made with the foremost concern for our safety. Having that many people invading personal space and breathing on each other is just straight up not going to happen on the school’s watch, understandably.

However, just because the school won’t be hosting an event, doesn’t mean that there won’t be one. Someone or multiple someones will throw their own parties for their grades and we’ll break social distancing there, which obviously is not a good idea, but high schoolers are famous for making bad choices.

So lets say that you decided to go to one of these parties. You and your date got all pretty, the pictures turned out great, you’re happy.

Well, you might not be a week later when you both get the pretty package in the mail saying you’ve been ordered to quarantine because you tested positive for COVID. Maybe your parents are chill about it and don’t kill you, or maybe they react a little more like mine would and they ground you forever.

I understand the desire to have a group of friends and celebrate. For many people Homecoming is their favorite dance. It’s more dressed up than Sweetheart, but less formal than Prom. The perfect blend.

I would just ask that you try and keep it less than 15 people, per the order form Sedgwick County issued on July 22.
I love a good dance as much as the next classic high school girl with a mild shopping addiction. I will be sad to not be able to experience this like normal, but as with all things COVID related, we’re going to make the best out of a less than ideal situation.

This entire school year has been and is about making the best out of being in the middle of a pandemic.

So many efforts were made on behalf of parents, students, and most especially the faculty and administration to have all of us students return to school at all.

While we may be angry that certain experiences were taken away from us, I think it is also important to remember and be grateful for how many people we have behind us, working so hard to give us all the dances, fundraisers, and football games we can get.

A wonderful example of these efforts would be the attendance raffle for the homecoming game. Tickets were raffled off and a total of 60 juniors and seniors were allowed to watch KMC take on Pittsburg. This will have been the only game that students were allowed to attend.

Despite the fact that we won’t be having an actual dance this year, a court has been nominated and voting ballots were casted. Seniors Grant Johnson and Isabella Ferraro were named this year’s king and queen.

The more fervently we respect these guidelines put in place by the school, our county, and our state then the more likely we are to have a prom, a sweetheart dance, and spectator sports. I understand the last thing anyone wants is more rules. I’m not crazy about it either. So I implore you to look on the bright side.

We have nearly an entire year left. Winter sports season is approaching, and exciting things are in store for this year. We have a wonderful team of house presidents and vice presidents that are the most determined group of people that I have had the pleasure of working with.

I think that if we work together we can insure that next year everyone will have the chance to take advantage of any opportunity that we can offer them, from cheesy first slow dances and winning football seasons to national merit scholars and honor society awards.