New movie ‘breaks the Internet’

Krystal Luong, staff writer

null
Smiling at each other, Wreck-It Ralph and Princess Vanellope von Schweetz relax after their advantage through the Internet together. photo courtesy of Disney

When Disney hinted at sequels for childhood films like “Finding Nemo” and “Incredibles,” everyone went crazy. People were also excited to see a continuation of their favorite Disney movies and soon came “Finding Dory” and “Incredibles 2” in 2016 and 2018.

This winter’s latest addition is “Ralph Breaks the Internet,” coming six years after “Wreck-It Ralph’s” release in 2012. Though the original lacked worldwide interest, “Ralph Breaks the Internet” first received major excitement because the teaser images of all the Disney princesses in one scene.

At the end of the first movie, Wreck-It Ralph and Princess Vanellope von Schweetz are best friends, hanging out nightly after work. When von Schweetz tells Ralph about her dissatisfaction about “Sugar Rush’s” predictability, Ralph tries to make her game more exciting. Though thrilling at first, the game’s steering wheel soon breaks and Mr. Litwak, the arcade’s owner, finds it too expensive to fix it and unplugs “Sugar Rush,” leaving the players inside without a home.

Determined to help his friend, Ralph brings von Schweetz into the Internet, where they try to buy a new wheel on eBay. The duo brave challenging adventures to try to raise money for the new wheel.

I enjoyed this film because it clearly portrayed Ralph’s insecurity in his friendship with von Schweetz. After she shows enjoyment of playing a new game, Ralph is scared he might lose her as a friend. I feel it is important for younger audiences to be able to learn about anxiety based fears and that is OK to have them, but it is also important to teach them how to overcome them, as Ralph did.  

I feel the story arc of the film correlated with the first movie well, and it was a good way to connect the two movies. But, I do believe you could watch the second film without seeing the first because the creators did a good job of explaining the background information, allowing you connect the pieces of what had happened in the first movie.

Though I did enjoy this movie, there were parts I got bored with. This movie had a predictable ending, and I found myself zoning in and out as the duo faced their biggest problem. But, I am also an older viewer, so it may be that I knew that this particular ending was coming already from other movies like it. I was hoping for a bit more originality from the creators, but my hopes were disappointed.

Overall, I would recommend this movie to people of all ages because it is a family friendly-film and teaches viewers about the acceptance of change in friendships and lifestyles alike. Though lacking a bit in originality, I would give this movie three out of five stars because of the character development. It’s also a great follow up for the original movie.