Computer Science Participates in ‘Hack-A-Thon’

Natalie Knapp, Emma McCague, Journalism I Students

At a university-hosted event, Matthew Ho’s Computer Science students are taught the ins and outs of computer programming and software in monthly Hack-a-Thon meetings.

A NEW SOFTWARE, Python, is one of the computer programs Hack-A-Thon participants use and interact with at their events.

“A Hack-a-Thon is basically an event where we try to learn all the different types of codes within two hours,” Ho said.

The event, hosted at Friends University, is also described by participants as a computer programming class.

“We start off with a breakfast of donuts and juice, then we start the class,” senior Michael Glover said.  “[In] the typical class we will be taught something new then we implement it into our code.”

Senior Maxwell Sevart described it in a slightly different way.

“It’s like a convention/a tournament of people who can hack,” Sevart said.

The Hack-A-Thon allows students to use and master software not typically taught or explored in classrooms.

“We majorly focus on HTML, which is a lot of web designing,” Ho said. “We also look at Python, which is one of the new coding programs that is being developed around the world.”

Keeping up with the constant evolution of technology is a challenge Hack-a-Thon participants readily accept.

“My students are really interested in computer programming, whether it’s just building a program or building a game,” Ho said. “I think that’s a good start to really see where technology takes us, especially since society today has gone very far in technological advances.”

Glover, a regular participant of the Hack-a-Thon, also emphasized the importance of coding in the modern world, and appreciates the opportunity.

“Knowing programming basics are more important than ever, and this class offers it for free,” Glover said.