Division I-bound senior leads football team to 4-0 record

Back to Article
Back to Article

Committed to play football at Columbia University, senior Scott Valentas is making a significant impact on the Crusaders' offense and defense.

photo by John Biehler, illustration by Kaegan Cowan

Kaegan Cowan, Web Editor

Leading the Kapaun Mt. Carmel football team in touchdowns with seven through four weeks of play, senior Scott Valentas has proven his leadership as well as showcasing his athletic ability. According to defensive back coach Ryan Burr, Valentas’ success can be attributed to his energy and effort.

“[Scott] has a great motor,” Burr said. “He plays very hard, very intense, very focused on what he needs to do. His effort is always good. Whatever play it is, he’s always going 100 miles per hour to make that play.”

Valentas has shown himself to be a very versatile player, having played at safety, cornerback, linebacker, quarterback, wide receiver, and running back throughout his career at KMC. He explained the benefits of playing multiple positions.

“I enjoy playing different positions because you get to do a bit of everything,” Valentas said. “Each position makes you a little better overall.”

Valentas is also a strong student; he has been on Superior Honor Roll in his first three years at KMC and has posted a 4.2 GPA to this point. He is also a member of National Honor Society. Burr spoke about Scott’s academic motivation.

“[Scott is] very motivated,” Burr said. “I’ve had him in Trig and Intro to Calc, and he’s a very motivated student. Sometimes he gets hyper-focused on something and I try to bring him back and help him see the big picture. That’s the thing I focus on with him, making sure he understands everything that’s going on around him, because he’s a smart dude.”

Valentas offered advice to other student-athletes who might struggle to balance all of their athletic and academic commitments.

“Do everything one thing at a time,” Valentas said. “If you try to do everything at the same time, that’s when it starts to get really difficult. Take it step-by-step, and you’ll finish everything that you need to do.”

On the football field, Valentas and senior Jacob Schmitz are left as the team’s top runner and receiver respectively after starting running back Clayton Perkins suffered a season-ending broken ankle. The two have a great relationship; Schmitz and Valentas have been friends for a “really long time” according to Schmitz, and Schmitz expressed his respect for Valentas not only as an athlete but as a person overall.

“Scott is a great athlete and a great person,” Schmitz said. “Being his best friend, being able to see how good of an athlete and person he really is, when I think of Scott, I think of just how happy and energetic he is.”

On July 21, Valentas verbally committed to play football at Columbia University, an NCAA Division I school in the Ivy League. Valentas said he was excited to play college football, but also a bit nervous.

“I’m a little nervous, just because I don’t know how far ahead everyone will be compared to me or how far ahead I will be compared to everyone else,” Valentas said. “I’ve seen the speed [of college football] on TV, but I don’t know how the speed is in person. It’s a little nerve-wracking.”

Burr is confident in Valentas’ athletic and academic future at Columbia.

“Knowing the type of athlete he is, and comparing him to guys that have come from [KMC] and have gone to other schools, I think he has the potential to be very good for them,” Burr said. “Academically, he’ll be able to handle the workload, and physically, he’s pretty gifted, he’s motivated to do it. He likes challenges and I think he’ll accept the challenge and flourish.”

About the Writer