Revamped club draws big numbers

Back to Article
Back to Article

Revamped club draws big numbers

Mikaela Meyer, circulation manager

Leading the procession, sophomore Isabella Ferraro and senior Mary Klausmeyer along with other handmaids, carry in the statue of Mary to begin the All-School Rosary on October 13, 2017. Photo by John Biehler.

The Handmaids of Mary will be heading in a new direction, as it takes on new leadership this year. With the absence of its former administrator Sr. Mary Ann Kirkland, IHM, the position is being taken over by Sr. Maria Jacinta Weide, IHM.

My biggest goals are explained in the three pillars,” Sr. Maria said. “I really want our girls to receive formation and support to help them stay strong with [the] many pressures they are dealing with.       

The three pillars, identity, sisterhood, and spiritual life, play into the new structure of the club. The leadership hopes the participants will foster their identities as beloved daughters of God through small group discussion and prayer. They will also grow in their spiritual lives through personal prayer, reception of the sacraments and the guidance of Our Lady and Venerable Teresita Quevedo. Senior Handmaids are also planning to meet as a smaller group with Sr. Maria at the convent once a month.

“I am very excited about opening the year with a retreat at Prairie Star Ranch,” Sr. Maria said. “I think it will help us to form great friendships and receive deeper formation than possible in short, after-school meetings. I am also excited about the consecration of our school to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary in December.

In the past, the Handmaids have only had a few events throughout the year, with only a handful of members. The most widely publicized of those events were the two all-school rosaries. This year there will be more events organized by the Handmaids, such as the school’s consecration, the September retreat, and the convent visits.  

I would have been happy with a strong group of 25 or so girls,” Sr. Maria said. “It looks as if our group will be much larger than that, though, which is exciting. It is great to see so many girls express a desire for a deeper spiritual life and strong friendships.”  

Sophomore Mary Gipson said this year’s club has already seen several changes.

“Last year, we didn’t have many Handmaids, which seemed to be the biggest reason the club didn’t have a big school presence,” Gipson said. “Sr. Maria Jacinta has done a fantastic job advertising and organizing Handmaids of Mary this year, so I think we’ll have more participants who are committed to being active in the club.

So far, Sr. Maria has had more than ninety girls sign up.

“I am so excited that Sr. Jacinta is the one to take over for Sr. Mary Ann,” Gipson said. “I am very confident that Sr. Jacinta will be able to improve Handmaids because she is a very hard worker, and she is open to different ideas. I think that over this year, she will help all of us grow closer to each other and closer to God and Mary.”