Divers Set Records

The girls dive team makes a splash in the revived spring sport with the help of President Rob Knapp.

“We really just needed a group of girls to step forward and say ‘We want to dive’,” said  Knapp. “The fact that we have eight divers that are consistently showing up and consistently performing well at meets is a bit of a surprise and a very pleasant surprise for us all.”

The team has been doing extremely well and placed second out of eight teams at Salina on Wednesday, April 18. One of the girls in particular has excelled.

“ I am really especially proud of Mikaela Meyer, who is one of our freshman.” said Knapp. “She was the first one of the divers to step forward and say that she wanted to participate in diving.”  

Freshman Mikaela Meyer qualified for state. She is our first diver to qualify.

“I am definitely excited about qualifying for state, but it also kind of scares me.” said Meyer. “I know I am going to have some competition and I hope I can do well.”

Juniors Ellie Kennedy and Harper Amend also excelled, by breaking the school record for one meter dives. It was last held by Claire Herd in 2007.

“When I heard we had a dive team, I was really excited and I just wanted to try it because I’ve always wanted to learn the right techniques,” Said Kennedy. “She [Coach Melody] helps me with making my dives look really pretty, even if it’s not the hardest dive there is and helps me aim for the highest score I can get.”

Their next meet is on Thursday, April 26 against Wichita Heights High School and Wichita Southeast High School at Heights. Many hope they do well.

“We look for great things in the future for Mikaela and all of her friends who are diving.” Said Knapp.