Helmet-to-Helmet Collisions Becoming a Major Issue

Cooper Steiner, Web Editor

During the 2014 NFL season, Pittsburgh player Ryan Shazier rests on the sideline during a timeout. After a debilitating spinal injury, Shazier’s future in football remains uncertain. photo courtesy of Wikimedia

One second passed. Five seconds passed. Ten seconds passed. Ryan Shazier, a Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker, was still on the ground, immobile.
“I was 10 feet away, and immediately you could see that he could not move the lower half of his body,” said Steve Young, an ESPN analyst and former 49ers quarterback, in an interview with the Huffington Post.
Shazier was paralyzed. His father received a call from the hospital. According to CBS Miami, Shazier told his father, “Daddy, pray for me. I can’t feel my legs.” Shazier’s is only one of many serious injuries that have occured in recent years, attributed to helmet-to-helmet collisions. The NFL has attempted to reduce these potentially life-threatening hits by enforcing heavy fines and penalties for any player targeting another player’s head.
These measures have largely been successful; however, there are still some circumstances where players believe the penalty and fine are better than a receiver catching the ball. Helmet-to-helmet collisions have been a natural consequence of football since the beginning of the modern era. In 2011, a 16-year-old high school player in New York passed away from internal bleeding caused by a helmet-to-helmet collision. The same year, a football player from Frostburg State University died after a helmet-to-helmet collision. The subsequent lawsuit by the Frostburg State player against the NCAA was not settled until five years later for $1.2 million.
Analysts believe that a better helmet would prevent these horrible and possibly fatal helmet-to-helmet injuries from occurring. I think new helmets would not solve the issue, though, and only provide a minimal bandage to the real issue. The main cause of concussions and serious head issues in football is the whiplash received from each hit. Dr. Frank Conidi, the Director of the Florida Center for Headache and Sports Neurology, believes that helmets were never meant to protect players from concussions. There are no ways to protect against concussions with a practical shock absorber. The game of football has only gotten more dangerous in recent years with players becoming faster, stronger, bigger and harder-hitting. In my opinion, no helmet can fully eliminate the effects of a helmet-to-helmet contact only reduce it.
There is another side to the story though. Many former NFL players believe that these new rules preventing head-to-head collisions are making the game softer. I would agree with them partially. I would like to see stricter penalties on players making helmet-to-helmet hits such as an ejection from the game; however, the NFL must take caution to protect the integrity of a game that I believe is barbaric by nature. Overall, though, I have the utmost confidence that America’s most viewed sport will find a way to deal with these new issues and make the game safer for all players.

Cooper Steiner, Web Editor