Your Turn: Crusader Council

Sophee King, Staff Photographer

After all-school Mass Jan. 24, Principal Chris Bloomer addresses the student body after members of the executive board of Student Council presented the plan for the new form of student government, including senior Leah Brock, President Rob Knapp, and seniors Emma Conover, Evelyn Nguyen and Max Knorp. The Crusader Council will replace STUCO beginning in March. For more information, see page 3. photo by Vanessa Frambers

What do you think about the new Crusader Council?

“I think it’s a very good idea I think it’ll let the students get their voice out to the administration. I think it’ll work. I think it’s a good idea, well thought out. I’m liking it how it is, getting the voices out there.”
-freshman Timothy Post

“I’m not a big fan because I still think the class is a big thing, being united with the class you graduate with not just all the classes together but just your specific year you graduate with. Those people will be your peers after you graduate. I think it could work, it sounds very strategic so it’ll work out probably. There’s so many people that there won’t be any decision-making I think. I think there should be less people to improve it.” -junior Margi Atanasova 

“It’s a good idea because it gets a lot more people in it but at the same time with people being used to COTY (Class of the Year) it could get a little confusing and how COTY events were with class or grade and it now being with different classes that might make it a lot harder or easier for a house to win because there will be people who are more or less enthusiastic. I think it could work. I think the grades could adapt. There’s not much you could do to improve people’s enthusiasm.” -sophomore Ransom Hansen 

“I don’t really know if I have an opinion ya know because I’m a senior and I don’t really care what happens because I’m out of here but it sounded very convoluted. They want leadership but for everyone to be a leader so it doesn’t really make sense in my opinion. Everyone wants to be a part of it but not everyone can so I think it’s gonna blow up in some way or somehow. I think Student Council doesn’t really have a big impact on the school, in general, so I don’t think anything is going to change. Like I said, all the roles and leaders it’s going to be complicated.” -senior Finnegan Higgins

“I think it’s a cool idea to get more people involved. I hope it works. I think that a president only being upperclassman is a bad idea because underclassmen have good ideas too.”                                                       -freshman Mackenzie Jones 

“It looks really good and I’m sad that I won’t be here next year to be a part of it. I think it’ll work. I haven’t looked at it really closely but I think it seems pretty good.”  -senior Isabel Resa

“I think it’s a nice change from what we’ve had before it definitely gives more people a voice so I think it’ll be a good change of pace but it’s going to be interesting to see how if it works once we leave. I honestly don’t know if it will work because it seems like there’s a lot of moving parts and that might cause a problem in the years to come. I could see it working in the first couple of years. I don’t know it seems like there’s a lot going on and there might not be a lot of people who want to be a part of it. I just think there’s too many spots. I get having two representatives from each family. That makes sense to me but there over 100 people involved and that seems like a lot. I could see if there’s one per family so you cut that in half. There’s a lot of different opinions and that could cause some issues.” -senior Ben Spicer

“I think it’s going to be a good change for Kapaun Mt. Carmel. There might be more than one person wanting more than one position so people might get into arguments and fight about it. I don’t see any faults I think it’ll be okay.” -junior Katelyn Andrist

“I think that it’s pretty complex and maybe a little too complex. There is so much going on like the Saint Board and Executive Board but I do think it’s pretty well set up other than that. It’s a lot of captains. I think they can reduce the number just a little bit but again if the Executive Board wants to deal with all the captains in all the houses then that’s their choice not mine.” -freshman Stephan Buchanan

“I feel that there are too many people in the Crusader Council and that they should stick to the Student Council because it will be easier to decide on things.” -sophomore Dylan Schaefer