New System to Replace STUCO

Joanie Korroch, Snapchat Manager

Within the St. Catherine of Sienna house, members of history teacher Brian Carrillo’s family play Anomia, during family time Jan. 12. Tuesdays are reserved for teaching while fun games and activities take place on Fridays. photo by Natalie Pfeifer

Beginning in March, Student Council (STUCO) will be replaced by a new system for student government called Crusader Council. The changes were presented to the student body Jan. 24.

“For the houses to thrive they need to have leadership within them,” said Leah Brock, current senior vice president of STUCO.“It just doesn’t make sense to have STUCO and this (the Crusader Council) because that would just not work at all.”

When Principal Chris Bloomer began creating the Crusader Council at the beginning of fall semester, he wanted the process to be student-led and asked the executive members of STUCO to take an active role.

“I have always valued the opinions and perspective of the students and believe that there needs to be an adequate vehicle for them to communicate their wants and needs to the administration,” Bloomer said. “Communication has not always existed so we’re looking for people to get involved and share their thoughts and ideas with others.”

Brock said change is needed, but it may take a while for students to appreciate it.

“It just needed to happen whether you like it or not,” Brock said. “The students at Kapaun [Mt. Carmel], maybe they don’t like it, but 10 years from now it’s going to evolve and it’s going to be good.”

The new system includes more positions, allowing for more students to express their opinions. The Crusader Council consists of two parts: the House Council and the Saint Boards.

The Saint Boards are made up of 14 captains, two from each family, the house dean, president and vice president. The House Council consists of the eight house presidents, who will elect an executive president from among themselves. If one wishes to be house president or vice president he or she will have to apply for the position by Feb. 21. Each candidate will be interviewed by their house dean during the week of Feb. 26 and elected by their house by mid-March.

“Since there’s a smaller group in your family, you will be able to voice your opinion,” Brock said. “You can get that information to your captains and your captains can take it to the house and the house can take it to to the executive board.”

House captains will be nominated by their families in the fall. Captains take their families’ concerns to the saint board meetings, help when needed and report meeting information back to their families.

“It is a student government that aims to involve a wider range of students to help develop the total person within our school setting,” said Clair Pennycuff, current STUCO sophomore class sponsor. “It’s focused on developing better leaders, listeners, communicators, as well as organizing events that encourage school spirit, stewardship and social community.”

Each house will also be assigned a major event, such as Homecoming or a canned food drive. With representatives coming from each family, the Crusader Council will include 128 members.The current class competition system, Class of the Year (COTY), will also be replaced with house competition in the fall semester of 2018.

“I am concerned about how many of the activities currently organized by STUCO and sponsors will continue,” Pennycuff said. “Those activities geared toward specific classes, like Powderpuff/ Manpuff and Prom, require some additional thought on how they will work.”

This major change is not without some controversy. Sophomore class president Sophie Miller is one of the STUCO members who will lose her seat with the changes.

“It’s a lot more work than what it really should be and people still enjoy COTY, ” Miller said. “In reality when you get older and stuff you don’t look back at your house you look back at your class.”

“I think it can fall together and I think that it will evolve more and more and a lot of people will get into it but as of right now it’s rough.”

In this video, members of the executive Student Council present the new government system to their peers.

Joanie Korroch, Snapchat Manager