Senior actor shines on stage

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior actor shines on stage

Reciting his lines, senior Gary Woodburn executes his role as 
Ichabod for the

Reciting his lines, senior Gary Woodburn executes his role as Ichabod for the "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" at KMC Oct. 12. photo by Kaylee Stout

Hannah Harpel, Facebook manager

Ichabod for the “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” at KMC Oct. 12. photo by Kaylee Stout

He has appeared as Puck in “Midnight Summer’s Dream,” the wizard in the “Wizard of Oz,” Ichabod in “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow,” and one of the jurors in “12 Angry Jurors.”
“He is one of the most talented people I know,” junior Grace Quayle, who has starred in a many plays with senior Gary Woodburn, said. “He can take any role and just really run with it and perform it flawlessly no matter what his angle is. Even though he is not looking to go into acting as a career, he still takes it very seriously and that is something I love.”
Woodburn is cast in a wide array of roles because “he does not have a lot of fear in trying different things,” according to theatre teacher Brian Strole.
“He is good at being inclusive and letting everyone feel welcome,” Strole said. “As an actor, Gary is a great character actor in a sense that he can really take into a part, and he does not have a lot of fear in trying things and being a different kind of person. Some actors are the same thing every time you watch them, but he’s good at taking a role and running with it.”
Woodburn started acting when he was just 11 years old at the Wichita Children’s Theatre in such plays as “How to Eat Like a Child” and “A Christmas Pageant.” However, Woodburn stopped acting, and began again his freshman year auditioning for “Fools.” Landing a small part in that cast, Woodburn’s acting career at Kapaun officially began.
“Theatre to me is a chance to pretend to be someone else and a chance to break away from your life,” Woodburn said. “To understand that character and to tell that story to other people so basically theatre is telling a story of someone else, but you are telling the story like you’re that person.”
Woodburn has responsibilities off the stage as well. He serves as the president of Troupe 695, a group of 40, holding meetings, working with other members of the troupe, and recruiting incoming freshmen and other students, adding around 10 new people each year.