Team ready for another shot at state championship

Standing at center court, the golf team is introduced at the pep rally March 17. From left to right: freshman Josh McCormack, sophomores Jack Baker,  Cooper Steiner and Blake Renner, juniors Grayson Harsh, Dawson Pennington and Ben Spicer, sophomore Austin Wilbert, juniors Keaton Eberhart and Spencer McCormack. Not pictured: seniors Joel Amend and Brian Moore. Photo by Sarah Nguyen.

Standing at center court, the golf team is introduced at the pep rally March 17. From left to right: freshman Josh McCormack, sophomores Jack Baker, Cooper Steiner and Blake Renner, juniors Grayson Harsh, Dawson Pennington and Ben Spicer, sophomore Austin Wilbert, juniors Keaton Eberhart and Spencer McCormack. Not pictured: seniors Joel Amend and Brian Moore. Photo by Sarah Nguyen.

By Kaegan Cowan

Standing at center court, the golf team is introduced at the pep rally March 17. From left to right: freshman Josh McCormack, sophomores Jack Baker, Cooper Steiner and Blake Renner, juniors Grayson Harsh, Dawson Pennington and Ben Spicer, sophomore Austin Wilbert, juniors Keaton Eberhart and Spencer McCormack. Not pictured: seniors Joel Amend and Brian Moore. Photo by Sarah Nguyen, staff photographer

Despite breaking a four-year state championship streak with a second-place finish last year, the boys golf team will come back refreshed with a team that has a lot of depth, said coach Dan Harrison. In fact, there are 13 golfers competing for six varsity spots.

“We are excited about our experience coming back this spring,” Harrison said. “We will have some intense competition throughout the season for those varsity spots.”

Four out of the six varsity golfers were underclassmen last year, and this year’s varsity lineup will look similar to last year’s squad. Sophomore Cooper Steiner, one of the four underclassmen last season, said the team’s experience will be an advantage.

“We’re just more experienced this year,” Steiner said. “Last year, two-thirds of our state team was underclassmen. This year, we’ve gained a lot more experience, and I think that will be a key factor going into state.”

The golf team also won the City League last year, and junior Ben Spicer said the team will look to repeat that accomplishment. Also, he spoke about the upcoming “Catholic Cup,” a new competition in which KMC will face fellow Catholic schools Bishop Carroll, St. James, and St. Thomas Aquinas. This year’s inaugural competition will be April 8 in Emporia.

“I feel like we have a pretty strong chance to win the City League outright,” Spicer said. “After that, we’ll see on [April] 8 how we shape up to schools in Kansas City. St. James and St. Thomas are definitely some of our biggest competition because St. Thomas beat us last year at state, which was disappointing, and which is going to give us more motivation to beat them this year.”

As the boys golf program has won 32 state championships, each team’s goal is to win state. Harrison said that focusing on becoming the best the team they can be is the key to winning the state championship.

“We have the same goals every year: win the city, win regionals and conclude with winning state,” Harrison said. “How we go about it can change depending on our skill level and experience. We focus on the process of becoming the best we can be and not just the end result.”

Steiner said he thinks one of the main things the team needs to focus on is to not be brought down by one bad round.

“I think the biggest struggle for the team will be finding that consistency, being able to go out there each day and just try to bounce back from bad rounds,” Steiner said. “[We need to have] each other’s back whenever one of us has a bad round, have two or three other guys pick them up with good rounds [and] just [have] that support system there to be able to play consistent golf as a team.”

Spicer said the team was excited to get a chance at redeeming itself after coming up short last year.

“I feel like we’re all really excited and really wanting to come back for redemption, get a little revenge on the Kansas City schools,” Spicer said. “I feel like we can do it.”

After kicking off its season with the Catholic Cup April 8, the team will compete in a tournament April 10 at Tex Consolver Golf Course.