KMC upsets Carroll; contends for City League title

Doing a crossover move on the ball, freshman Kelsey Rae works to get around a Topeka Hayden forward April 7 against Washburn Rural at Stryker. Photo by Uyen Tran, staff photographer

Looking for a teammate to pass a through ball to, sophomore Evelyn Nguyen runs to the right side of the field.

Looking for a teammate to pass a through ball to, sophomore Evelyn Nguyen runs to the right side of the field April 7 against Washburn Rural at Stryker. Photo by Uyen Tran, staff photographer

After the game against Washburn Rural April 7 at Stryker, freshman Emily Michaelis and sophomore Kaley Ball shake hands with the opposing team's members.

After the game against Washburn Rural April 7 at Stryker, freshman Emily Michaelis and sophomore Kaley Ball shake hands with the opposing team’s members. Photo by Uyen Tran

by Holly Harpel, Sports 1 Editor

In the past two years, the girls soccer team has been matched up against its rival Bishop Carroll four times. Each time Kapaun Mt. Carmel suffered the loss, but on April 28 at Carroll, the Crusaders defeated the Eagles 1-0.

The only goal scored was by sophomore Brenna Monty in the 19th minute of the game. Monty accredited strong possession and an effort by sophomore Sierra Fury for the scoring opportunity.

“We possessed the ball really well in the first half,” Monty said. “It frustrated Carroll, and that’s how we got to score. In that possession where we scored, Sierra made a great run and tried to either cross or shoot. It deflected off of a defender and went to the middle, where I was, and I one-timed it into the upper 90 [degree] corner.”

According to sophomore Nancy Vargas, the team’s offensive success came with difficulty.

“The most difficult part of the game was definitely getting through the great defensive line Carroll has,” Vargas said. “[Carroll’s] Maguire Sullivan is a great player and as the center back, she put up a great fight. So early on in the game, we realized that we needed to play a lot of through balls behind Carroll’s back line in order to give our forwards a chance.”

The KMC defense, on the other hand, has had four consecutive shutouts, after allowing 11 goals in the first five games. Coach Anthony Cantele considers defense the team’s specialty.

I think our biggest strength was our defense,” Cantele said. “We have started to focus on this a lot in practice because we had given up far too many goals in the first half of the season. It’s not just been a focus for the four defenders, but every position on the field as well. That basically means that we wanted our midfielders and forwards to start to help out on defense, and then get forward quickly when we win the ball back. It is a lot of hard work, but the girls have bought into it, and the game against Carroll proved how effective that method can be for us.”

According to Cantele, the win against Carroll is promising, but does not guarantee KMC a City League title.

“The win doesn’t necessarily secure the city league title for us, although it puts us in a good position,” Cantele said. “We still have three league games left to play (Southeast, North and South), and we have to win two of those to secure at least a share of the title. On paper, we should be heavily favored over all three of these teams, but I don’t want the girls to think that way. Nothing is guaranteed, and we are stressing this a lot to them. We have to focus on one game at a time and play every team as if they were our rival, because if we don’t, we can get beat. I see it happen all the time at every level, so us coaches are doing what we can to make sure they always have that attitude.”

The team improves to a 9-4 record after also beating Olathe Northwest April 30. It will face Wichita North May 10.