Junior varsity athletes share perspectives

Back to Article
Back to Article

Focusing on the rim, junior Cori Hough lines up her shot. Holly Harpel, Sports 1 Editor

Focusing on the rim, junior Cori Hough lines up her shot. Photo by Holly Harpel, Sports 1 Editor

By Holly Harpel, Sports 1 Editor

According to sophomore football player Giovanni Ferraro, not as much glory and not as many fans come with being a junior varsity athlete. The commitment of playing on JV undoubtedly measures up to that of varsity, but JV efforts are oftentimes overlooked.  

“Some misconceptions of JV players are that we’re not talented enough to compete on the varsity level or that we’re less important than varsity,” Ferraro said. “And that’s not true. Although it’s not varsity, JV allows you to become a better player by scrimmaging competition that is equal to your abilities. But you are able to see where you stand in comparison to them and improve upon that.”

While JV and varsity proportionally challenge athletes, JV shows players where they need to gain experience, said junior basketball player Cori Hough.

“JV has helped me improve because it gives me the opportunity to practice with varsity and learn from them,” Hough said. “Playing on JV also helps you see and experience what it takes to be on varsity, where and how much you need to improve. In addition, I’ve learned the importance of working hard and playing for my teammates rather than myself.”

Working to achieve experience, JV athletes possess a perspective that allows them to grow as players, according to track coach Kyle Martens.

“JV is more laid back,” Martens said. “It teaches them to relax and to have patience. Most importantly, it teaches them the value of sports. The way it works is that if we lose a varsity player, a JV player steps up. If we have lots of JV athletes developing their skills, we get higher quality varsity members–the wider the base, the higher the peak.”

Ferraro said JV also plays an integral role in the success of varsity.

“I’ve realized that without JV, varsity would never have the opportunity to compete against anyone to prepare them for their games,” Ferraro said.

But according to Hough, scrimmaging with varsity can potentially be a disadvantage for basketball players.

“A downside to playing on JV is that you have less time to work on your offensive plays,” Hough said. “It can be difficult to practice offense since varsity runs theirs against our defense for the majority of the time. Although we benefit by developing our defensive fundamentals, our lack of practicing our offense shows. Sometimes, we get lazy with our passes or forget certain plays.”

Sophomore Greta Lies said by looking past the similarities and differences, the significance of being on JV is quite apparent.

“Being on JV is an important process,” Lies said. “You learn that you have to earn spots on varsity; they’re not just given to you. Yet, being on JV does not make you any less apart from varsity. At the end of the day, we all get to play the sports we love.”